[Samba] Samba in the Cloud

Stephen Atkins satkins at mdwainwright.ca
Fri Mar 26 16:02:46 UTC 2021

Since the whole pandemic thing has happened, I've been getting non stop
calls from cloud providers to help migrate my users to home.  I came up
with my own solution that works but probably could be better.  I'm using
a Samba file server that is a domain member, then use nextcloud so users
can use Webdav and other resources in Nextcloud from home.  It seems to
work but isn't fast as I only have a 20Mbs internet at the office (yes
that's the fastest we can get).

I've been wondering about getting a virtual machine in the cloud and
using it as a AD DC connected to our internal domain and using them to
host our files.

While I'm sure I can make it work, is this the worst idea you've ever
heard of?  I'm a little worried about security.

Thanks.
--
Stephen