[Samba] is it possible to define default -H and -k yes for samba-tool where required?

Jason Keltz jas at eecs.yorku.ca
Thu Mar 25 14:02:32 UTC 2021

Hi..

Is there a way to make it so that "samba-tool" uses a default -H option,
and -k yes where applicable via a default option in smb.conf?

It would be really nice to be able to use samba-tool on any machine in
the domain, but I have to remember to attach the -H ldap://dc1 and -k
yes after the command *if it applies*.

I can't just script  samba-tool to say, /opt/samba/bin/samba-tool $* -H
ldap://dc1 -k yes because even the default "samba-tool" invocation which
produces help wouldn't work then since it recognizes that -H and -k in
this case are bogus:

I tried this for fun:

#!/bin/sh

if [ $# -lt 2 ]; then
   /opt/samba/bin/samba-tool $*
else
   /opt/samba/bin/samba-tool $* -H ldap://dc1 -k yes
fi

... which does work a lot better, but still fails in many cases.

It seems like something that would be useful.

Jason.