[Samba] Linux workstations lose relationship with domain

Denis Morejon denis.morejon at etecsa.cu
Tue Mar 23 14:47:06 UTC 2021

Thank you Rowland!

I have another clue for my problem (The lost of domain relationship).
The problem began just after the change of time in my country on Sunday.
I changed the time manually on both domain servers

(They use ntp for the clients to sync with they) and after that, on
Monday, some linux workstations lost the relationship. But you know
what? none of my Windows 10 workstations lost the domain relationship!

We use pbis en Ubuntu 18.04 and Linux Mint 20 workstations to connect to
the domain. I suspect that the change of time was the cause. But even
changing the time on those linux workstations first (For some reason ntp
didn't work, but this is not the point right now), they didn't connected
to the domain! And It was necessary to join again manually (One by one!).

This is the smb.conf of a workstation that lost the domain ralationship

[global]
     server string = %h server (Samba, Ubuntu)
;   wins server = w.x.y.z
    dns proxy = no
;   interfaces = 127.0.0.0/8 eth0
;   bind interfaces only = yes
    log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
    max log size = 1000
    syslog = 0
    server role = standalone server
    passdb backend = tdbsam
    obey pam restrictions = yes
    unix password sync = yes
    passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
    passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n
*Retype\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
    pam password change = yes
    map to guest = bad user
;   logon path = \\%N\profiles\%U
;   logon drive = H:
;   logon script = logon.cmd
; add user script = /usr/sbin/adduser --quiet --disabled-password
--gecos "" %u
; add machine script  = /usr/sbin/useradd -g machines -c "%u machine
account" -d /var/lib/samba -s /bin/false %u
; add group script = /usr/sbin/addgroup --force-badname %g
;   include = /home/samba/etc/smb.conf.%m
;   idmap uid = 10000-20000
;   idmap gid = 10000-20000
;   template shell = /bin/bash
;   usershare max shares = 100