[Samba] RODC and Tombstones

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Sat Mar 20 12:21:06 UTC 2021

On 20/03/2021 11:28, cn--- via samba wrote:
> Hello all,
> now that we have an RODC running I have seen some things I want to
> clarify.
> Is it normal that one gets these errors?
>
>  ../../source4/dsdb/kcc/garbage_collect_tombstones.c:105: Failed to
> remove deleted object
>
> And that the accumulate? Already around 1000 Tombstones (mainly DNS
> Entries). I can delete them on the normal DCs but they stay on the RODC.
>
> Normal?

 From my understanding of RODC's, yes and no 😁

A RODC hosts a read-only copy of the DNS records, so it cannot update
dns records, these should be done on a RWDC and replicated back, so the
error message is correct. In my opinion, that is a bug, it shouldn't be
run against a RODC and the tombstone deletions should be done by
replication from a RWDC, something that doesn't seem to be happening in
your case.

can you please open a bug report about this.

Rowland