[Samba] Disable NETBIOS during "domain provision" or "domain join" (Samba 4 AD)

Johannes Kastl kastl at b1-systems.de
Sat Mar 20 10:12:33 UTC 2021

Hi Rowland,

thanks for the fast answer.

On 20.03.21 at 11:04 Rowland penny via samba wrote:

> Initially, I thought you were referring to the netbios domain name aka
> workgroup, but it sounds like you are referring to the computers short hostname.
> The 15 character limit on the hostname length is dictated by Active Directory,
> so the cure for your problem is easy, stop using very long hostnames.

Actually I was half expecting this answer, but I was hoping there would be
another way...

> sorry if this isn't what you wanted to hear, but it is something that would
> happen on a Windows domain.

Understood, not samba's fault. :-)

But: Is the computer's shortname actually really needed? Or can the use of the
short NETBios names be disabled?

Kind Regards,
Johannes

--
Johannes Kastl
Linux Consultant & Trainer
Mail: kastl at b1-systems.de

B1 Systems GmbH
Osterfeldstraße 7 / 85088 Vohburg
http://www.b1-systems.de
GF: Ralph Dehner
Unternehmenssitz: Vohburg / AG: Ingolstadt,HRB 3537