[Samba] Best File Server Backup Practice

Aaron C. de Bruyn aaron at heyaaron.com
Sat Mar 13 18:23:47 UTC 2021

All my fileshares are backed by ZFS.
There are tons of open source utilities to automatically snapshot and
replicate ZFS datasets to other boxes.  You can even expose those snapshots
to Windows using the shadowcopy VFS module so users can recover things
themselves.

While I haven't done it, I'm sure you can store the Samba databases on a
ZFS dataset as well to ensure you have backups.

If not, it looks like samba-tool can easily 'snapshot' and dump data
wherever you want:
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Back_up_and_Restoring_a_Samba_AD_DC#Online_DC_backup

-A