[Samba] Running smbd 4 + nmbd 3?

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Mar 12 14:53:38 UTC 2021

On 12/03/2021 14:29, Lou via samba wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 11, 2021 at 10:41:12PM +0000, Rowland penny via samba wrote:
>> Bite the bullet, classicupgrade to AD. 😁
>
> classicupgrade seems great!  Although I've looked for some migration
> guides, how
> didn't I find classicupgrade before? :-)

I don't know, perhaps you never read our wiki ?

>> An NT4-style domain is yesterdays technology, AD is the way forward.
>> If you must keep your domain running whilst you test the upgrade
>> path, then use Samba 4 and run smbd, nmbd and winbind on the PDC etc.
>
> Let me first understand this.  It seems that, with NT4, I cannot have
> two PDCs
> running on the network.  AD supports this, but I was wondering if I
> can have
> both old PDC and new one running at the same time for the migration.
> Is it
> possible?

You can only have one PDC in an NT4-style domain, but you can have
multiple BDC's, in AD it is different, all DC's are equal (except for
the FSMO roles and they can be on any DC) and it is recommended to run
multiple AD DC's. You also cannot run your old PDC in your new AD
domain, it would be ignored and worse, once your clients have seen an AD
DC, they will never use the PDC again, even if you turn off all AD DC's.

Rowland