[Samba] List of users seems truncated or incomplete in file server member of an Active Directory Domain

David PAUGAM David.Paugam at genavir.fr
Fri Mar 12 12:25:19 UTC 2021

[I correct by "sending to the list" instead of my previous mail - sorry
for that]

Thank you Rowland for your new reply!

I checked several things:

  * created a new user in Active Directory, as the exact copy (but the
    names) of an account which I can find through "getent passwd myNewUser"
      o it is not retrieved in "getent"
  * Samba is 4.9.5
  * Active Directory servers are W2012 and 2016

Then I tried a few things and checked each modification of the conf with
the 2 commands

  * wbinfo -u |wc -l
  * getent passwd |wc -l

They give the number of lines, so the number of accounts.
When I get problems, the first one returns arount 3400, the second one
around 1140.
When everythings seems fine the 2 numbers are very close. The difference
should be the local accounts.

Then, I unwillingly made a mistake in smb.conf and it worked!! The 2
previous commands returned the good numbers!

Surprisingly, the conf seemed to work when the idmap Domain name is wrong...

Here is the "working" smb.conf, which must be wrong. And this time, the
mistake is done intentionnally ;-)

/[global]//
//        workgroup=MYDOM//
//        security=ads//
//        realm=MYDOM.FR//
//        winbind enum users=yes//
//        winbind enum groups=yes//
//        winbind use default domain=yes//
//   idmap config * : backend = tdb//
//   idmap config * : range = 3000-7999//
/

/
/

/#Here are the "bad" lines / bad domain, which actually solved the
"getent passwd"//
/

/   idmap config WRONGDOM : backend = rid//
//   idmap config WRONGDOM : range = 10000-999999/

/
/

/template homedir = /home/%U//
//template shell = /bin/bash//
//dedicated keytab file = /etc/krb5.keytab//
//kerberos method = secrets and keytab//
//winbind refresh tickets = Yes/

Is there an explanation to this behaviour?

Is there a way to check the way rid works?

Thanks,

David