[Samba] List of users seems truncated or incomplete in file server member of an Active Directory Domain

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Mar 11 09:02:53 UTC 2021

On 11/03/2021 08:29, David PAUGAM via samba wrote:
> Hello Rowland,
>
> sorry, I tried - and failed :-) - to mask the domain from the conf.
>
> So, IFR is the name, and MYDOM a try to hide it...

Sort of thought that was what was going on.

> What do you mean by "Also, how are the usernames truncated ?"

Sorry, i read it one way and you meant it another 😁

You meant that you get a shortened list of users, I read it as you get
shortened usernames 😅

You are using the winbind 'rid' backend , so the ID's are calculated
with this formula:

ID = RID + LOW_RANGE_ID

Which in your case, would be:

ID = RID + 30000

This means that any RID's larger than 969999 would be ignored, but this
is such a large number that I don't think this is your problem.

As you are using Debian buster, I take it you are using Samba 4.9.5 but
what is the DC ? not that this should matter.

If 'user1' is shown by getent, but 'user2' isn't, then I would suggest
comparing the two user objects in AD.

Rowland