[Samba] Revit worksharing error

Gerry George george.gerry at gmail.com
Wed Mar 10 16:58:03 UTC 2021

While I havent had to deal with such issues in a very long time, I recall
many years back having to tweak smb.conf to support a shared QuickBooks
file on a SAMBA server.  It included adjusting the time the file locks were
held by the client, and having to shorten it significantly (oplocks, level
1/2 locking, file caching, etc).  I don't remember specifically which
setting, but do recall that the final "fix" required an unintuitive setting
- it needed to be opposite to what I expected the documentation indicated.

It was all within this page details:
https://www.samba.org/samba/docs/old/Samba3-HOWTO/locking.html

Maybe this might help in tracking down the issue.

G. George

On Wed, Mar 10, 2021 at 6:40 AM Jon Gerdes via samba <samba at lists.samba.org>
wrote:

> Perttu
>
> Are you able to try incremental upgrades?  For example 4.10.5 -> 4.11.last
> (test) -> 4.12.last (test.)  That might help
> narrow down the problem to a particular version.  Then we can check out
> the changelogs.
>
> Cheers
> Jon
>

> On Tue, 2021-03-09 at 12:20 +0200, Perttu Aaltonen via samba wrote:
> > Hi Jon,
> >
> > No other changes other than ugprading Ubuntu and Samba, smb.conf stayd
> the same.
> >
> > I’m almost certain that if I contact Autodesk support they will say that
> Samba is untested and unsupported and they
> > recommend using Windows Server. My hunch is that it’s some small
> compatibility difference that causes the problem. For
> > example Revit expecting Windows ACLs but POSIX ACLs being in use right
> now, or some sort of locking issue. I’ll post
> > an update if I find out more details.
> >
> > -Perttu
> >
> > > On 9. Mar 2021, at 11.51, Jon Gerdes via samba <samba at lists.samba.org>
> wrote:
> > >
> > > Perttu
> > >
> > > If you don't have problems with other file types then you probably
> ought to start with Autodesk for support - Revit
> > > is
> > > their product.  Of course if they diagnose an actual problem with
> Samba then we can try and help you with that.
> > >
> > > By the way, any other changes apart from updating from a pretty old
> version of Samba?
> > >
> > > Cheers
> > > Jon

> working with a Revit file saved on the Samba

> I’m starting to investigate further, but is

> > > --

*Gerry E. George*
ICT Consultant and Solutions Provider &  Open Source Evangelist
*DigiSolv, Inc.* [P.O. Box 1677, Castries, Saint Lucia]
*Mobile*: (756) 716-2716 /* Int'l Office*: (347) 450-3444 / *Skype*:
DigiSolv
*Email*: *george.gerry at gmail.com <george.gerry at gmail.com>*    /
*ggeorge at digisolv.com
<ggeorge at digisolv.com>*