[Samba] winbind use default domain problem after upgrade

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Mar 10 16:28:19 UTC 2021

On 10/03/2021 15:31, Perttu Aaltonen via samba wrote:
> Perhaps I’ve misunderstood the “winbind use default domain” parameter. According to the smb.conf manual it doesn’t apply to “Windows users” meaning SMB clients.

It doesn't say that, it says that it 'does not benefit Windows users',
which has a different meaning. If you log into a Unix domain member as
an AD user, your username  wil be displayed as 'username' if 'winbind
use default domain = yes' is set in smb.conf. If it isn't there, or it
is set to 'no', then it will be displayed as 'DOMAIN\username' (note:
this is the only way that users are displayed 0n Samba DC's, even if the
line is added to smb.conf)

>   It also doesn’t seem to have any effect on the user mapping when authenticating through the SMB connection. On a working system I can connect without providing the domain part even with “winbind use default domain = no”. It doesn’t matter if I provide the "DOMAIN\” or not and the authentication succeeds. But on an updated system the automatic mapping doesn’t work anymore and I’m not sure what affects it when the smb.conf file is identical.

It probably will work in the way you describe, so you may be having a
problem and are describing it incorrectly, if so, what isn't working ?

Rowland