[Samba] Group membership not updating on one DC only

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Tue Mar 9 14:04:04 UTC 2021

Strange, i use all you describe below and all work on my member server.
Do all groups your using have a GID assigned?
And added to this i also use automounted homedirs..

i use also 4.13.4 ( 4.13.5 is building currently )

> Restricting SSH-access via the sshd_config to a certain group does not
> work. SSH tests group membership BEFORE winbind can update the groups.
> And if SSHd has denied you, winbind wont update the groups you're in.
>

> Scenario A: User get this group and tries to connect. SSHd tests the
> groups of the user, determines that the user is not part of the group
> and denys him (seen in auth.log). It still asks for your password but
> this wont do anything. You're not in the group -> denied forever.
>
> Scenario B: User is in the group gets expelled. He tries to connect and
> SSHd allows it (because the user is in the group). After the successfull
> auth with PW winbind updates the group and the next SSH connection would
> fail.
>
> Scenario C: User uses public-key auth. Winbind never updates the groups
> and the user can login forever (if he/she was in the group) or never (if
> he/she weren't).
>

> We got it working though!
>
> 1. Disable Public-Key Auth for samba-users.
Where my customers doe use with public-keys for auth. ( and yes, these are samba users.

> 2. Remove AllowUsers & AllowGroups from the sshd_config
I only use AllowsGroups here, i have 2 groups, one linux group, for linux users and a windows group which have the samba users.

> 3. Edit /etc/pam.d/sshd : uncomment the line with pam_access.so and add
> [accessfile=/etc/security/pam_access_sshd.conf] to the line.

All i did is run : pam-auth-update