[Samba] permissions adjustments log

Christopher Wensink cwensink at five-star-plastics.com
Fri Mar 5 22:51:18 UTC 2021

We have a stand alone samba file server, no domain involved. Everyone
has a share for their home drive, then there are a series of shares for
different departments.  The department access is controlled by being a
part of the system group found in /etc/group.

My boss has had access to the "R:" drive in our environment for years
then this morning suddenly he didn't have access to it, and I looked in
/etc/group and his username was not under the group associated with the
R: drive.  I put his username back to fix the problem, but now I'm
wondering how/why was removed.  I was in /etc/group yesterday adding a
new employee to two other groups and removing one old account from all
shares, but I did not touch is username for anything.

In /var/log/secure I only see entries for icinga server authentication,
and logins for ssh sessions, I don't see anything specifically listed
out where access to a given share was added / removed or where a user
was added / removed from a group in /etc/group.

Is there another log that would capture changes other than
/var/log/secure, or /var/log/messages?

--
Christopher Wensink
IS Administrator