[Samba] Domain member cannot authenticate when first domain controller is down

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Mar 4 17:03:35 UTC 2021

On 04/03/2021 16:49, Dale via samba wrote:

> A little more complicated than that, but not by much.
>
> 1.  Before Louis' (and Jason's) suggestions, either long lag time
> before authentication or a timeout.

Understood, but was there anything tin the logs on DC2 ?

> 2. After Louis' suggestions, either long lag time before
> authentication or a timeout, but with a huge correlating increase in
> the number of SRV queries on DC2.

If there wasn't anything in the logs on DC2 before adding Louis's, but
there is afterwards, then this would suggest that Louis's suggestions
are working.

> 3.  After trying krb5.conf suggestions, no authentication at all.
> 4.  Revert the krb5.conf suggestions, but still no authentication.

I am a bit doubtful about the krb5.conf modifications, I have never used
them, but they seem to be valid, so who knows ?

> It certainly looks like DC2, but it passes every test that the wiki
> has, plus every additional one that you and Louis gave me to try while
> troubleshooting various issues.

Perhaps we have missed something ?

Rowland