[Samba] Windows 10 cannot connect without SMB1

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Mar 2 16:12:42 UTC 2021

On 02/03/2021 13:55, K.R. Foley via samba wrote:

> Initially I started testing with two VMs on the same private network,
> a Windows client and a Linux VM running Samba 4.11.1. These VMs
> were/are not physically isolated, but they are on a separate subnet
> with no routing to/from any other subnet. I have to work in this
> environment because they are not physical PCs. I got this working, but
> it is possible that they might have been communicating via SMB1. I
> then brought up an AWS instance because that is where the initial
> Samba server will reside (that is why there are different subnets and
> the VPN). Configured everything, but with 4.11.13. In the meantime the
> Windows VM has been updated. Now it won't support SMB1 and now my
> problems start.
>
> Last night, I went back to my initial test VM for the Samba server.
> The two VMs are on a separate subnet with no routing to/from any other
> network and the same problem persists. I get the exact same errors.
> The client still thinks that the server is trying to use SMB1.
>
> Again there is no routing between this subnet and any other subnet.
> However, the VMs are not physically isolated. This is not really
> possible in the current environment. There is an older Samba NT4 PDC
> on the same ESXI with the test VMs, but there is no IP routing and
> also the domain names are different. Is it possible that this is
> causing a problem?

OK, I have downloaded the latest Win10 ISO, installed it in a VM and it
joined my Samba 4.13.2 AD domain. I am now of the opinion that it is
something in your setup that is causing this and I think it may be your
PDC which relies on two things. SMBv1 and netbios. Netbios does not use
dns, so this may be replying to the Win10 search for a DC.

Rowland