[Samba] Windows 10 cannot connect without SMB1

K.R. Foley kr at cybsft.com
Tue Mar 2 13:55:52 UTC 2021

On 2021-03-02 05:47, Reindl Harald via samba wrote:
> Am 01.03.21 um 22:41 schrieb Roy Eastwood via samba:
>> On 01 March 2021 18:08 Gregory Sloop wrote:
>>> I haven't followed this thread closely at all - but how about simply
>>> really
>> limiting
>>> the players.
>>> Reduce the network to just the DC's and client that's supposed to
>>> join the
>>> domain those DC's hold.
>>>
>>> Unplug everything else from the network.
>>>
>> Yes I agree;  In an earlier post the OP mentioned that the clients and
>> the
>> server were on separate subnets connected by VPN;   if so I would
>> connect a
>> Windows 10 client directly to the same subnet as the DC and see if a
>> join works
>> OK. If it does it would implicate the VPN etc is blocking SMB2/3
>> protocols.
>
> broad cast stuff typically don't make it over VPN and frankly i find
> it somehow pervert to *start* a new setup with the one and only client
> on a VPN instead build up the network step-by-step
>
> adding additional layers from the begin is always a terrible idea
> unless you have much luck and everything works fine out-of-the-box

Initially I started testing with two VMs on the same private network, a
Windows client and a Linux VM running Samba 4.11.1. These VMs were/are
not physically isolated, but they are on a separate subnet with no
routing to/from any other subnet. I have to work in this environment
because they are not physical PCs. I got this working, but it is
possible that they might have been communicating via SMB1. I then
brought up an AWS instance because that is where the initial Samba
server will reside (that is why there are different subnets and the
VPN). Configured everything, but with 4.11.13. In the meantime the
Windows VM has been updated. Now it won't support SMB1 and now my
problems start.

Last night, I went back to my initial test VM for the Samba server. The
two VMs are on a separate subnet with no routing to/from any other
network and the same problem persists. I get the exact same errors. The
client still thinks that the server is trying to use SMB1.

Again there is no routing between this subnet and any other subnet.
However, the VMs are not physically isolated. This is not really
possible in the current environment. There is an older Samba NT4 PDC on
the same ESXI with the test VMs, but there is no IP routing and also the
domain names are different. Is it possible that this is causing a
problem?

Thanks.

kr