[Samba] Windows 10 cannot connect without SMB1

Gregory Sloop gregs at sloop.net
Mon Mar 1 18:07:48 UTC 2021

I haven't followed this thread closely at all - but how about simply really limiting the players.
Reduce the network to just the DC's and client that's supposed to join the domain those DC's hold.

Unplug everything else from the network.

Yeah, it's a total PITA, but it sure simplifies things and ensures there's not an interaction elsewhere with something else. And while it's a PITA, it seems a lot "easier" than more elaborate troubleshooting. (I speak from experience. Sometimes I find it's my own error. Sometimes I find really weird interactions I didn't think were possible. But swapping hardware and really limiting the complexity of the network and the number of devices involved has saved me a ton of time and frustration over the years. And frankly it's often just way *easier* and *quicker*.)

Part of my underlying thought is that it sure looks like there's some services being offered that sure appear to be coming from something else other than the DC's intended. [Packet captures could be revealing, though that's often more work than simply unplugging stuff.]

Of course, not having read the whole thread - I could be wildly off. Take it for what it's worth.

-Greg

Rpvs> On 01/03/2021 17:18, K. R. Foley wrote:

>>> Easiest way would be to run on the DC:

>>> smbclient -L localhost -N

>>> The last line of the output should be:

>>> SMB1 disabled -- no workgroup available

>>> I wonder if your problem is down to a lack of encryption ? Try adding
>>> 'smb encrypt = enabled' to the smb.conf on the DC.

>>> After this, I am running out of ideas.

>>> Rowland

>> Yes. I had already tried that. See below.

>> [root at ss-prod kr]# smbclient -L localhost -N

>> Anonymous login successful

>>     Sharename       Type      Comment
>>     ---------       ----      -------
>>     sysvol          Disk
>>     netlogon        Disk
>>     IPC$            IPC       IPC Service (Samba 4.11.13)
>> SMB1 disabled -- no workgroup available

Rpvs> Well at least it shows that your DC is not using SMBv1, so why does your
Rpvs> Windows client think it is ?

>> Additionally, I also tried adding 'smb encrypt = enabled'. No change.

Rpvs> It was just a thought.

Rpvs> I think this is looking like a dns problem on your Windows client or at
Rpvs> least a Windows problem. You have this in the log you posted:

Rpvs> NetUseAdd to \\ss-prod.local.richardshapiro.com\IPC$ returned 384

Rpvs> IPC$ is a hidden Samba share that is required for Samba to function and
Rpvs> '384' means it isn't secure.

Rpvs> Try running this on the DC: smbclient //ss-prod/IPC$ -UAdministrator

Rpvs> After entering the password, you should find yourself at a prompt:

Rpvs> Try "help" to get a list of possible commands.

Rpvs> Press 'q'  to exit

Rpvs> Rowland