[Samba] Windows 10 cannot connect without SMB1

K. R. Foley kr at cybsft.com
Mon Mar 1 15:04:51 UTC 2021

On 3/1/21 8:40 AM, Rowland penny via samba wrote:
> On 01/03/2021 13:15, K. R. Foley wrote:

>>> Your DC must be authoritative for the AD dns domain and whilst your
>>> clients can use another dns server as a caching name server, the
>>> caching name server must forward anything  for your AD dns domain to
>>> a DC.
>>>
>>> Rowland
>>>
>> In case there was any misunderstanding due to my rattling on, the DC
>> is the only DNS that the client is pointing to. I uncommented the
>> forwarders section. Still the error persists.
>>
>> kr
>>

> Everything seems okay, just about the only other things I can think of
> are:
>
> Is a firewall getting in the way, AD uses a lot more ports than an
> NT4-style domain.
>
> How are you starting Samba, You should just be starting the 'samba'
> daemon which will start any other required daemons.
>
> Rowland

The firewall is disabled on the client PC. The client and the server are
on 2 separate subnets separated by a VPN. I am not aware of any
filtering going on between the two, but I can't say for sure without
checking. Is there a list of ports somewhere that I can check to make
sure that they are all being routed over the VPN? I have already checked
everything that I can see in netstat on the server.

Keep in mind that the client can join the domain fine if I enable SMB1
on the client. I don't want to use SMB1. That is why I am trying to
figure this out. The client seems to think that the server is asking for
SMB1.

Is it possible that I have something else mis-configured on the client?

Are there additional ports that are used by SMB2/3 that are not used by
SMB1? If so, what are they?

kr