[Samba] multiuser with simple user mapping

Eric Levy contact at ericlevy.name
Wed Jun 30 20:19:43 UTC 2021

On Thu, 2021-06-24 at 14:29 +0100, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:
> > It might help at least if I would receive advice on the subject,
> > putting aside the question of customization to the Samba code base.
> > If
> > it is possible to achieve the configuration using standard versions
> > of
> > Samba, then it is at least worth trying the same method with the
> > Synology device.
>
> Running Samba as a standalone server is akin to running a Windows PC
> in
> a workgroup, so this is what I would try:
>
> Use the same workgroup name on all machines.
> Create the same users and groups on all machines, ensure that the
> users
> have the same password everywhere.
>
> Rowland

Sorry, for not returning a reply to your suggestion earlier, but I am
still trying to resolve this problem, and must remark that I have found
your idea confusing.

For a Samba mount in a basic form, all files in the mount take the same
owner and permissions, generally the owner being root. The function of
the multiuser option, as I understand, is to enforce different
permissions for each user on the system. Without this option, would
various users have different permissions for files on the mount?

Perhaps you might illustrate your idea with a concrete minimal case
showing, for example, the mount command.