[Samba] Slow response after moving to ver 4.10

Jim Brand JHBRAND at up.com
Wed Jun 30 19:45:42 UTC 2021

New CentOS 7 file server, samba version 4.10.4-11 with 2,000 shares on multiple Gluster mounts.  Roughly 200-300 concurrent users.  We recently migrated this working
setup from a CentOS 5 server (Samba 3) using  LDAP.  A few weeks later we started noticing sporadic slowdowns on our Windows 10 PC clients.
Directory listings that normally take a few seconds can take many minutes if they finish at all.

Nothing jumps out in the Samba logs.  A local linux find on the affected shares does not vary much, about a minute.  I've run smbclient 'recurse;ls' on the share(s) both locally and
from another Linux host.  Local and remote search times (good and bad) agree closely:  A few minutes is normal but can take an hour or more when we're having problems.  Gluster or network is not suspect.  Sometimes cycling smb fixes it for a while but not today.

This happens mostly during business hours but the server is always 95% idle.  Any ideas or what to look for in the logs would be appreciated.

smb.conf:

[global]
kerberos method = system keytab
log level = 3
max log size = 5000
log file = /var/log/samba/log.%h.%m
template homedir = /home/%U@%D
template shell = /bin/bash
security = ads
realm = MYGROUP.COM
idmap config MYGROUP : range = 1034-2999999
idmap config MYGROUP : backend = ad
idmap config MYGROUP : schema_mode = rfc2307
idmap config MYGROUP : unix_primary_group = yes
idmap config MYGROUP : unix_nss_info = yes
idmap config * : range = 10000-15000
idmap config * : backend = tdb
winbind use default domain = yes
winbind refresh tickets = yes
winbind offline logon = yes
winbind enum groups = no
winbind enum users = no
workgroup = MYGROUP
realm = MYGROUP.COM

include = /usr/local/custom.conf

Thanks,
Jim Brand

This email and any attachments may contain information that is confidential and/or privileged for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any use, review, disclosure, copying, distribution or reliance by others, and any forwarding of this email or its contents, without the express permission of the sender is strictly prohibited by law. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender immediately, delete the e-mail and destroy all copies.