[Samba] Allow only one computer SMB v1

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Jun 29 20:29:53 UTC 2021

On Tue, 2021-06-29 at 16:18 -0400, Nick Couchman wrote:

> If I understand the question correctly, I believe Stephen is asking
> if you could limit support for SMBv1 to a single client, allowing
> only that client to talk to the Samba server with SMBv1, while
> forcing all other computers to talk with SMBv2/3, etc.
>
> My thought is you could possibly do this using the include directive
> in the smb.conf file to include a per-machine configuration file,
> perhaps based on IP address. Something like this:
>
> include = /etc/samba/clients/%I.conf
>
> You could then have a configuration file specifically for that
> machine that would lower the SMB protocol level down to 1, and all
> other machines could use the default.
>
> I might be off on that, it isn't something I've tried, but Samba's
> support for configuration includes and variable substitutions gives
> you some very flexible, very powerful options.

Yes, but if all the other computers were using SMBv2 (at a minimum) how
could they 'talk' to the computer that only used SMBv1 and how could it
'talk' to them ?

Look at it this way, there are 20 people in a room, 19 only speak
English and one only speaks French (or any language that isn't a
variant of English), 19 people will understand each other, but the one
person that doesn't speak English will not understand the other 19 and
they will not understand the one.

Rowland