[Samba] Allow only one computer SMB v1

Nick Couchman nick.e.couchman at gmail.com
Tue Jun 29 20:18:27 UTC 2021

On Tue, Jun 29, 2021 at 4:06 PM Rowland Penny via samba <
samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 2021-06-29 at 13:54 -0600, Stephen Atkins via samba wrote:
> > Hello everyone.  Is it possible to allow only one computer to use
> > SMB
> > v1?  We have an old large format scanner that uses an old version of
> > Windows embedded.  I would like to be able to save files to a
> > network
> > share from it.
>
> Yes it would be possible to set up a computer running Samba to be the
> only one using SMBv1, but there would be a big problem, it wouldn't be
> able to 'talk' to any other computers and no other computer could
> 'talk' to it.

If I understand the question correctly, I believe Stephen is asking if you
could limit support for SMBv1 to a single client, allowing only that client
to talk to the Samba server with SMBv1, while forcing all other computers
to talk with SMBv2/3, etc.

My thought is you could possibly do this using the include directive in the
smb.conf file to include a per-machine configuration file, perhaps based on
IP address. Something like this:

include = /etc/samba/clients/%I.conf

You could then have a configuration file specifically for that machine that
would lower the SMB protocol level down to 1, and all other machines could
use the default.

I might be off on that, it isn't something I've tried, but Samba's support
for configuration includes and variable substitutions gives you some very
flexible, very powerful options.

-Nick