[Samba] Joining Samba AD DC from Docker container fails - timeout

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Jun 29 12:23:13 UTC 2021

On Tue, 2021-06-29 at 02:37 +0000, Gregory Schaub wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I haven’t been able to get any further with this issue. Based upon
> the join log it would appear to be failing on the replication. I have
> tried setting dns to none based on another apparently similar issue,
> but it gets stuck in the same place. That makes me start to wonder if
> the issue is really replication or if that is a red herring.

I think your problem lies in your use of containers, but as I have
never used them (too many tales of woe on the mailing list to make me
want to try), I have no way of proving this.

> I have also seen references to joining through realmd for Ubuntu, but
> have not seen anything about that config in the samba forums  so I’d
> be interested in Samba’s position on that config.

Samba does not produce realmd, so cannot support its use with Samba,
not that it matters, you can only join a new DC to the domain with
samba-tool.

> My thought is that if I can to a joined state, I should be able to
> fix any replication issues through the samba-tool. I’d appreciate any
> guidance you can provide since I’m stuck and don’t have any sense of
> what to try next.

As I said, I don't think your problem is to do with replication as
such, I think it might have something to do with the container somehow
getting in the way of replication.

Rowland