[Samba] multiuser with simple user mapping

Eric Levy contact at ericlevy.name
Thu Jun 24 00:39:26 UTC 2021

On Wed, 2021-06-23 at 14:41 +0200, Aurélien Aptel wrote:
> Eric Levy via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> writes:
> > I have a Linux server, and a NAS device from Synology. Both systems
> > have matching sets of user names.
> >
> > From the server, I create a mount through the following command:
> >
> > $ sudo mount.cifs //diskstation/usr /mnt
> > -ouser=master,multiuser,setuids,idsfromsid
>
> idsfromsid is a workaround to store unix ids inside SID.
>
> If you want to map real existing SID to proper uids you need to
> * setup Winbind on the system doing the mount
> * make sure it is able to resolve sid/uid (you can test with wbinfo
> utility)
> * make sure you have cifs-utils and keyutils installed
> * make sure /etc/request-key.conf has an cifs.idmap entry
> * mount with cifsacl option instead of idsfromsid
>
> Cheers,

Are you able to provide any details or references on what configuration
is needed in Winbind, or what specific tests are helpful in wbinfo?

In case it clarifies any misunderstanding, there is no domain server or
any similar component or node. There are just two endpoints, a NAS and
a server (which will mount the NAS share). User names are the same on
both systems. That is, user name "johndo123" on the server should have
the same permissions for shared files as "johndo123" on the NAS,
because of string identity. Currently, there is no authority to
validate that both names are the same user.