[Samba] Accidental zone deletion

Chris Puttick chris.puttick at cp1associates.net
Tue Jun 22 07:16:24 UTC 2021

Thanks for the response, about what we feared. For interest on one of the DCs we tried

samba_upgradedns --dns-backend=SAMBA_INTERNAL --migrate=no

and got the response

# samba_upgradedns --dns-backend=SAMBA_INTERNAL --migrate=no
Reading domain information
DNS accounts already exist
No zone file /var/lib/samba/private/dns/OXARCH.LOCAL.zone
DNS records will be automatically created
DNS partitions already exist
Finished upgrading DNS

Found the comment about "no zone file" interesting because that directory doesn't exist and AFAIK has never existed (Ubuntu 18.04 running Samba 4.7.6-Ubuntu).