[Samba] AD/DC on EL8/Centos8 etc

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Jun 15 15:30:22 UTC 2021

On 15/06/2021 16:21, Nick Howitt via samba wrote:

> On 15/06/2021 16:04, Rowland penny via samba wrote:

>>> Very interesting. Can I ask why you maintain them? Also what are the
>>> issues with the incompatible files?
>>>
>>> My interest is that my distro, ClearOS is looking at AlmaLinux as a
>>> possible parent for ClearOS 8, but they need to work on a Directory
>>> product. Currently they use OpenLDAP in 7.x, but the EL8 preferred
>>> version is Directory 389. ClearOS currently use NT4 domains in 7.x
>>> (which Roland rightly complains about), but I'd like to explore
>>> Samba AD/DC in 8.x as well as a more conventional LDAP product.
>>

>> Come on, please get my name correct 😁
>>
> Hello Rowland,
> Ugh! Mea culpa.
>> Also I don't complain about NT4 domains, I just point out that they
>> are going away and AD is easier.
> M$ didn't particularly care when their Windoze 1709 update broke
> joining NT4 domains and took a year to fix it. The writing is on the
> wall. You have to make a particular registry edit to get Outlook to
> work with NT4 and so on. I don't want to face the flack when M$ take
> it one stage further.

I take it that you have missed that Samba has started to deprecate NT4
domains, never mind Windows, Samba is going to remove them.

>> If you use AD, then you probably do not need ldap, I don't know
>> whether you have noticed, but Samba AD comes with ldap built in.
> Yes, I am aware of that but for many ClearOS users, I think an AD/DC
> is OTT e.g. I only use it for simple file sharing and so on.

Try looking at Karoshi, they do something somewhat similar to Clearos,
but on Ubuntu.

>>> At the same time ClearOS is used as a file server and the (strong)
>>> recommendation from Samba is not to do AD/DC and file serving on the
>>> same box, and, if you must, run one of them in Docker/Podman or a
>>> VM. AD/DC upgrades between major versions seem to be best done by
>>> running up a new DC and joining it to the old and then demoting the
>>> old one. This gives an interesting (problematic) upgrade route on a
>>> single box.
>>

>> The problem is that there are problems using a Samba AD DC as
>> fileserver, however it is possible, if you can work around the
>> problems e.g. you must use acl_xattr||||
> It could be possible. I guess that is what Zentyal do.

That is another OS, there is also Univention.

>> Having said that, it would be better if your Clearos machine could
>> act like a Windows DC (and Windows recommends only using a DC for
>> authentication) and for Clearos to supply a client version as well.
> Yes, but traditionally we have been a one box solution similar to
> Zentyal. It won't be my decision. Also it appears the recommended
> Samba upgrade path is to spin up another DC, join the domain and
> demote the original. A third box is then needed unless you can do some
> cute VM/Docker/Podman maniplation from outside the VM/container.

I use Louis's repo and just upgrade as normal, the problems really start
if you compile Samba yourself.

Rowland