[Samba] Logging into Linux from Domain-joined Win10 desktop works for hostnames, not VIPs

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Sat Jun 5 20:15:24 UTC 2021

On 05/06/2021 20:56, Vincent S. Cojot via samba wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I've observed some strange thing and I know too little about Windows
> to figure out what's going on so I would love it if someone could shed
> some light..
>
> Here's the thing:
>
> From a win10 desktop, I PuTTY ssh to a server if I use PuTTY with the
> remote server's hostname but if I use a VIP hosted on the same server,
> my user gets prompted for a UNIX password (I'm not using SSH keys in
> this environment, only plain AD with bind).
>
> In more detail:
> my RHEL servers are joined to the domain using this:
>
> # realm list
> ad.lasthome.solace.krynn
>  type: kerberos
>  realm-name: AD.LASTHOME.SOLACE.KRYNN
>  domain-name: ad.lasthome.solace.krynn
>  configured: kerberos-member
>  server-software: active-directory
>  client-software: sssd
>  required-package: oddjob
>  required-package: oddjob-mkhomedir
>  required-package: sssd
>  required-package: adcli
>  required-package: samba-common-tools
>  login-formats: %U
>  login-policy: allow-realm-logins
>
> From any Windows10 desktop in the home, I can PuTTY without a password
> prompt to <hostname1.lasthome.solace.krynn>.
>
> If I try to PuTTY to <floating1.lasthome.solace.krynn>, my user gets
> prompted for its password.
>
> Any ideas? I'm just stumped.. (I don't use Win10 but some of my
> children do and one has a need to ssh from it to a Linux box).
>
> Thank you,
>
> Vincent

you appear to be trying to connect to 'floating1.lasthome.solace.krynn'
but your AD dns domain appears to be 'ad.lasthome.solace.krynn', so of
course you are going to get asked for a password.

Can I ask where Samba comes into this ? If there are shares involved and
the Samba version is >= 4.8.0, then you shouldn't be using sssd etc, but
if you just want authentication, then you don't need Samba, you can just
use sssd.

Rowland