[Samba] NTLM Authentication failing after DC updated and restarted. Shares are asking for a password constantly.

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Jun 4 20:51:30 UTC 2021

G'Day Anthony,

I would look into either allowing SMB1 on your DC or (better) having
Samba use SMB2 to talk to the DC.

For the Samba side, see 'client max protocol = smb2' or 'client ipc max
protocol = smb2'.  I've not checked when we split up the options, and I
don't know if that mode is well tested, but it would be worth a shot.

I realise things are difficult, all the 'you should have upgraded'
doesn't change an ERP system overnight!

You could also see if you can buy Samba+ packages, to get a modern
Samba on your old system: https://samba.plus/rhel

The good folks at SerNet have put a lot of effort into backporting
modern Samba onto these older systems for exactly this kind of reason.

All the best!

Andrew Bartlett