[Samba] Error : You dont have permission to save at this location.

Krish Kay tomnaugh at gmail.com
Fri Jun 4 16:59:30 UTC 2021

Thanks for the information, specifically reg. ver > 4.8.0.
We are not using sssd, and are not running winbind with samba 4.7.8 on
RHEL6.

(1)Since we are using AD, we are not making changes to our existing
/etc/krb5.conf
Is that okay?

The current /etc/krb5.conf is:
# Configuration snippets may be placed in this directory as well
includedir /etc/krb5.conf.d/
[logging]
 default = FILE:/var/log/krb5libs.log
 kdc = FILE:/var/log/krb5kdc.log
[libdefaults]
 dns_lookup_realm = false
 ticket_lifetime = 24h
 renew_lifetime = 7d
 forwardable = true
 rdns = false
# default_realm = EXAMPLE.COM
 default_ccache_name = KEYRING:persistent:%{uid}
[realms]
# EXAMPLE.COM = {
#  kdc = kerberos.example.com
#  admin_server = kerberos.example.com
# }
[domain_realm]
# .example.com = EXAMPLE.COM
# example.com = EXAMPLE.COM

(2)We tested winbind for samba 4.10.16-5 on RHEL7.
Basic checks look good.
#wbinfo --ping-dc
checking the NETLOGON for domain[ENT] dc connection to "<hostname>.com"
succeeded

However, when smb is restarted after winbind, we are unable to map the
samba drive in Windows.
This error msg pop's up in windows : You do not have permission to access
\\<samba-server>\<share> Contact your network admin.

Since we use NIS, what should be updated content in /etc/nsswitch.conf.
Does winbind come before or after nis.

passwd:     files nis
group:      files nis

(3)We do use shares. Example:
[<share-name>]
         comment = <comment>
         create mask = 0775
         force directory mode = 0775
         force group = <unix group name>
         path = <unix path to share>
         public = no
         valid users = <username1> <username2>
         writeable = yes

(4)Below is the updated smb.conf
[global]
        workgroup = <WORKGROUP NAME>
        netbios name = <NETBIOS NAME>
        server string = Samba %v on (%L)
        security = ADS
        encrypt passwords = Yes

        passdb backend = tdbsam:<path to db>/passdb.tdb

        use sendfile = yes
        invalid users = @samba_restricted_users
        local master = no
        preferred master = no
        domain master = no
        realm = <DOMAIN>.COM
        template shell = /bin/bash
        msdfs root = yes
        log level = 3
        log file = <unix path to logfile>/samba.log.%m
        max log size = 4096
        name resolve order = wins host
        deadtime = 5
        keepalive = 900
        wins support = no
        wins server = <IP 1>, <IP 2>
        dns proxy = yes
        preserve case = yes
        short preserve case = yes
        allow trusted domains = yes
        client min protocol = SMB2
        winbind use default domain = yes
        winbind enum users = no
        winbind enum groups = no
        winbind nested groups = yes
        winbind separator = +
        winbind cache time = 6000
        idmap config * : range = 100-60000

        vfs objects = acl_xattr
        map acl inherit = Yes
        store dos attributes = Yes

        load printers = no
        printing = bsd
        printcap name = /dev/null
        disable spoolss = yes
        client ldap sasl wrapping = sign
        client NTLMv2 auth = yes
        username map = <unix path>/map.txt
        allow insecure wide links = yes
        follow symlinks = yes
        wide links = no

        dont descend = .snapshot
        hide files = /.snapshot/._*/
        veto files = /*.one/*Notebook.onetoc2/.parentlock/
        browseable = No
        guest ok = No
        blocking locks = no
        kernel share modes = no
        client signing = disabled
        vfs objects = full_audit

        full_audit:prefix = %D|%u|%g|%m|%I|%R|%p|%S
        full_audit:success = connect chdir opendir mkdir rmdir open read
write unlink
        full_audit:failure = connect chdir opendir mkdir rmdir open read
write unlink
        full_audit:facility = local6
        full_audit:priority = NOTICE
        include = <unix path>/config/general_smb.conf