[Samba] I can't join my Linux client to my Samba DC.

Jason Long hack3rcon at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 4 07:29:24 UTC 2021

Hello,
Thank you.
I can't login to my Linux client with my Samba DC username. I have below users:

# samba-tool user list
krbtgt
Guest
user2
user3
user4
peter
Administrator
user1
user5

And Samba tells me that my Linux client joined to the network:

# samba-tool computer list
MYDC$
CLIENT$

But when I want to login to my Linux client with above usernames, then it showed me "Login incorrect". I used "user5", "user5 at mydomain.z" and "mydomain\user5" forms.

On Tuesday, June 1, 2021, 07:29:55 PM GMT+4:30, Rowland penny via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

On 01/06/2021 15:36, Jason Long wrote:
> Thank you.
> My Samba DC has a DHCP server too.

I do hope your DC has a fixed IP.

> My "/etc/hosts" file contents is:
>
> # cat /etc/hosts
> 127.0.0.1   localhost localhost.localdomain localhost4 localhost4.localdomain4
> ::1         localhost localhost.localdomain localhost6 localhost6.localdomain6

Can someone tell me where 'localdomain' actually came from ? 127.0.0.1
is the ipaddress for the local host or 'lo', hence 'localhost', as far
as I am aware, there is no such thing as 'localdomain'

> And I modified "/etc/resolv.conf" file as below:
>
> # cat /etc/resolv.conf
> search mydomain.z
> nameserver 192.168.56.7
>
> And edited "smb.conf" file as below:
>
> [global]
>     workgroup = MYDOMAIN
>     security = ADS
> # realm = MYDC.MYDOMAIN.Z
>     realm = MYDOMAIN.Z
>
> And tried to join my Linux client to my Samba DC, but I got below error:
>
> # net ads join -U administrator
> Enter administrator's password:
> Using short domain name -- MYDOMAIN
> Joined 'CLIENT' to dns domain 'mydomain.z'

Your client is now joined to the domain.

> No DNS domain configured for client. Unable to perform DNS Update.
> DNS update failed: NT_STATUS_INVALID_PARAMETER

But it hasn't updated its dns record in AD, not that this matters if
your DHCP server is updating the records in AD.

Rowland