[Samba] Best practice to import folders to Samba?

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Thu Jun 3 12:33:56 UTC 2021

 Hai Anders,

That looks good to me, but to be sure..

Lets create a new data root share just for this test so you can lookup the rights.

Per example  /HP-data/test-docs

wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/thctlo/samba4/master/samba-setup-share-folders.sh
In the script, change : SAMBA_BASEFOLDER="/HP-data/test-docs"

It doesnt change you smb.conf, but it generates the share.conf for samba and set up the folders for you.

bash samba-setup-share-folders.sh
The file : /etc/samba/smb-shares.conf is generated and include that in smb.conf reload,
and test/look in these folders.

And look at all the rights and how i did set them.

I used the following setup.

BaseFolder - DepartmentsBaseFolders  - UsersContent

Base: only Administrators can create folders and setup rights.
 Optional, create a group "folder-managers" and give that rights to create new folders and set rights"
 This way you dont have to share Administrator passwords if it only involves new folders and rigths.

Departments, this used only uses the security groups "departmens" and gives it right to access and write/change/read  in this folder.

UserContent,  The Rights in Departmens and any subfolders or files in here are writting with the "domain users" ( must have GID )
Why we set 2770 on Departments

So where does "domain users" come from, well, its the default group all windows users are in.
In smb.conf (where i use backend AD) i use :

## get primary group from unix primary group )
idmap config ADDOM : unix_primary_group = yes

Not sure if you need that also if you use RID backend.

This is also why its not adviced to change the default windows group for the users.

I hope this helps you.. (and others)

Greetz,

Louis