[Samba] SID ... conflicts with our current RID set in ...

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Jun 1 22:20:13 UTC 2021

On Wed, 2021-06-02 at 08:24 +1200, Andrew Bartlett via samba wrote:
> On Tue, 2021-06-01 at 17:31 +0100, Rowland penny via samba wrote:
> > On 01/06/2021 17:07, Marco Gaiarin via samba wrote:
> > > Doing some health check on my samba AD domain, i've got this:
> > >
> > >   root at vdcpp1:~# samba-tool dbcheck --cross-ncs
> > >   Checking 5173 objects
> > >   [... some warnings...]
> > >   SID S-1-5-21-160080369-3601385002-3131615632-2100 for
> > > CN=ENRICO,OU=Computers,OU=SanVito,OU=FVG,DC=ad,DC=fvg,DC=lnf,DC=i
> > > conflicts with our current RID set in CN=RID
> > > Set,CN=VDCPP1,OU=Domain Controllers,DC=ad,DC=fvg,DC=lnf,DC=it
> > >   Please use --fix to fix these errors
> > >   Checked 5173 objects (1 errors)
> > >

> > > 2) it is safe to use '--fix'? Or, because 'ENRICO' is a simple
> > > windows
> > >   pc, it is safer to simply delete 'ENRICO' computer account and
> > > rejoin
> > >   it?

For now just ignore it as I think we might have a bug, see below.

> > Try '--fix' first, you can always fall back to leaving the domain
> > and
> > rejoining if it doesn't work.
>
> Thanks Rowland, this explains things very well.
>
> As background, which should probably go into the wiki some day, with
> the above:
>
> The 'fix' will advance the local RID allocation state in ridNextRid
> attribute until the conflict is resolved.
>
> However this should not ever have happened, if there was only ever
> one
> RID master the pools should never have overlapped and it should have
> been impossible for this to happen.
>
> Stealing RID master roles would be one way to get into this muddle,
> as
> would an improper domain restore.  If neither of these have happened,
> some investigation might be worthwhile.

If that is the case, then see
https://gitlab.com/samba-team/samba/-/merge_requests/1986#note_590466438

This could very likely be a bug, thankfully one with a fix coming, and
without the fix the 'cure' would just burn a full RID pool to get to
the start of the next one.

Andrew Bartlett

Solutions