[Samba] libpam-winbind mkhomedir

Andrew Walker walker.aj325 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 1 20:31:37 UTC 2021

On Tue, Jun 1, 2021 at 3:53 AM Rowland penny via samba <
samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> This doesn't affect Linux unless your computers gain a uidNumber and
> congratulations, you appear to have found
> a bug.

I believe RID backend, which is being used here, can provide idmapping for
computer accounts, since it just algorithmically maps IDs to SIDs. This can
be helpful in some situations IIRC where Windows may attempt to
authenticate to the samba server using its machine account rather than the
account of the currently logged in user. I believe some backup software
does this.