[Samba] I can't join my Linux client to my Samba DC.

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Jun 1 14:59:28 UTC 2021

On 01/06/2021 15:36, Jason Long wrote:
> Thank you.
> My Samba DC has a DHCP server too.

I do hope your DC has a fixed IP.

> My "/etc/hosts" file contents is:
>
> # cat /etc/hosts
> 127.0.0.1   localhost localhost.localdomain localhost4 localhost4.localdomain4
> ::1         localhost localhost.localdomain localhost6 localhost6.localdomain6

Can someone tell me where 'localdomain' actually came from ? 127.0.0.1
is the ipaddress for the local host or 'lo', hence 'localhost', as far
as I am aware, there is no such thing as 'localdomain'

> And I modified "/etc/resolv.conf" file as below:
>
> # cat /etc/resolv.conf
> search mydomain.z
> nameserver 192.168.56.7
>
> And edited "smb.conf" file as below:
>
> [global]
>     workgroup = MYDOMAIN
>     security = ADS
> # realm = MYDC.MYDOMAIN.Z
>     realm = MYDOMAIN.Z
>
> And tried to join my Linux client to my Samba DC, but I got below error:
>
> # net ads join -U administrator
> Enter administrator's password:
> Using short domain name -- MYDOMAIN
> Joined 'CLIENT' to dns domain 'mydomain.z'

Your client is now joined to the domain.

> No DNS domain configured for client. Unable to perform DNS Update.
> DNS update failed: NT_STATUS_INVALID_PARAMETER

But it hasn't updated its dns record in AD, not that this matters if
your DHCP server is updating the records in AD.

Rowland