[Samba] Very slow copy for small files from Win 10 to Samba server

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Jul 30 13:14:52 UTC 2021

On Fri, 2021-07-30 at 13:54 +0100, Campbell McLeay wrote:
> Hi Rowland,
>
> Thanks for the reply.
> >
> > Either your smb.conf is borked (no 'idmap config' lines for the
> > 'COMPANY' domain) or they are in your 'include' file, or you are
> > using
> > sssd.
>
> We are using sssd. I can post the sssd.conf if it is helpful.

No, Samba doesn't produce sssd, so I know very little about sssd, not
that it matters :-)

> > If you are not using 'security = ADS', then you are not using AD.
> >
> > What Linux OS are you using and what version of Samba ?
>
> Server is running: RHEL 7.6
> Samba version: samba-4.8.3-4.el7.x86_64

There is a problem. Before Samba 4.8.0 , the smbd daemon (the
fileserver daemon) could contact AD directly, so you could use sssd.
When Samba 4.8.0 was released, smbd now can only contact AD via
winbind. Because sssd has its own version of some of the winbind libs,
you can no longer use sssd with Samba >= 4.8.0

Depending on how you run sssd (hopefully you are using rfc2307
attributes) you can easily change to winbind, if you are using id
mapping it will be a lot harder.

Rowland