[Samba] WORKGROUP/Samba cannot be viewed in list in Other Locations

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Jul 27 13:57:57 UTC 2021

On Tue, 2021-07-27 at 22:37 +0900, Dr. Makoto Sakurai wrote:
> Sorry, I extracted the tail of smb.conf (additional part). Should I
> copy and paste the whole file' text?

No, I was getting your thread mixed up with another one, that will
teach me to try and do several things at once.

> (N/B my Windows 10 is Windows 10 Home and does not have the AD
> connection.)

Yes, I understand that now.

> $ testparm
> Load smb config files from /etc/samba/smb.conf
> Loaded services file OK.
> Weak crypto is allowed
> Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE
>
> Press enter to see a dump of your service definitions
>
> # Global parameters
> [global]
> client min protocol = NT1
> log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
> logging = file
> map to guest = Bad User
> max log size = 1024
> netbios name = SAMBA-PRINTER
> obey pam restrictions = Yes
> pam password change = Yes
> panic action = /usr/share/samba/panic-action %d
> passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n
> *Retype\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
> passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
> server min protocol = SMB3
> server role = standalone server
> server string = %h server (Samba, Ubuntu)
> unix password sync = Yes
> usershare allow guests = Yes
> idmap config * : backend = tdb

Samba (like a Windows computer) functions as a client and a server. A
client when it connects to another computer and a server when another
computer connects to it.

Network browsing depends on SMBv1 being available at both ends, so for
your Samba computer to show up in Network Neighborhood, you need SMBv1
enabled on the Windows computer and 'server min protocol = NT1' set in
smb.conf
For the Samba computer to connect to a share on a Windows computer, you
need SMBv1 enabled on the Windows computer and 'client min protocol =
NT1' set in smb.conf

You also need nmbd running on your Samba computer

Rowland