[Samba] Ubuntu upgrade, now unable to access shares or join domain

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Jul 22 17:42:13 UTC 2021

On Thu, 2021-07-22 at 12:47 -0400, Robert Steinmetz wrote:

> First Rowlan let me thank you and Andrea Ballarati for your prompt
> and
> knowledgeble responses. Sorry for not posting better information on
> my
> installation.
> I am planning on moving to an AD DC, this upgrade is part of that
> plan.
> I have a few other things to do first like migrate one of my servers
> 64 bit Ubuntu. I have great trepidation about that.

Can I point you at Louis's repo: https://apt.van-belle.nl/

There you will find packages for the latest Samba versions.

>  I have already set
> up a test AD DC manually.

Good, but did you have any problems ?

> I am wondering how sucessful the Classic Upgrade would be? I've
> reviewed
> the Samba Wiki and it doesn't fill me with confidence.

There are two schools of thought here. You can upgrade your existing
NT4-style domain (yes, the classicupgrade works), but you bring with it
a lot of baggage (very low Unix ID's for one). Starting with a new AD
domain allows to correct all of the old ways of doing things.

If you haven't already donw so, can I suggest you read the Samba wiki:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Main_Page

> Also I have two sites one with two servers and one with 3 I'm very
> concrned about adding the member servers back into the new domain.

AD comes with the concept of 'sites', this means that computers at a
specific site will normally only use DC's at that site, the exception
would be if all the DC's at that site went down.

An NT4-style domain relies on SMBv1 and when you upgraded Ubuntu, you
also upgraded Samba to a version that defaults to SMBv2 as a minimum,
this was done by changing the defaults for 'client min protocol' and
'server min protocol' to SMB2_02

You seem to have set 'server max protocol' to 'NT1' , this means that
it is set to less than the 'server min protocol'. This isn't allowed
and will not work, remove the line and set 'client min protocol' and
'server min protocol' to 'NT1'

Any questions, please ask, it is what we are her for.

Rowland