[Samba] howto optimize samba/kerberos for 20k requests per minute - help needed

Stefan Bauer stefan.bauer at cubewerk.de
Tue Jul 20 05:56:49 UTC 2021

Hi,

it is kopano. They state on their website¹:

-----------------

Note

Please note that due to performance problems in Samba 4, Samba 4 is not
supported as a user source for setups larger than 50 users.

And that is indeed what i notice. The high amount of kerberos-requests
between samba-DC and kopano server is causing a very high io-load on the
samba system - renders the system unstable. Also the time an
authentication request takes, is between 200-400ms.

As Kopano is doing an authentication every time a user clicks a single
mail and no caching is possible, it is hitting the samba system too hard.

Stefan

¹
https://documentation.kopano.io/kopanocore_administrator_manual/user_management.html