[Samba] CIFS share disconnects on Linux client, but is still accessible via SMBCLIENT

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Sun Jul 18 12:31:19 UTC 2021

On Sun, 2021-07-18 at 14:10 +0200, Gene Poole via samba wrote:
> Thanks! It'll take me a little while to make the changes and try
> each
> one to try to isolate the problem. But in the meantime here are my
> share
> defs from smb.conf:

> -------
>
> [littlenas]
> path = /mnt/littlenas
> guest ok = yes
> writeable = yes
> create mask = 0777
> #oplocks = False
> #level2oplocks = False
>
> [NASbkp]
> path = /mnt/NASbkp
> guest ok = yes
> writeable = yes
> create mask = 0777
> #oplocks = False
> #level2oplocks = False
>
> [WINbkp]
> path = /mnt/WINbkp
> guest ok = yes
> writeable = yes
> create mask = 0777

It looks like you are trying to only have guest access, so you must
have 'map to guest = bad user' in '[global]'. You should also be aware
that the latest Win10 versions have guest access turn off by default,
so even if Samba is allowing guest access, Win10 will not use it.

I thought about your problem and wondered if smbd is disconnecting an
inactive connection, it shouldn't be, but if you add 'deadtime = 0' to
'[global]' it should stop smbd disconnecting inactive connections.

Rowland