[Samba] samba4 AD + Bind9 HA

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Jul 15 15:26:37 UTC 2021

On Thu, 2021-07-15 at 11:54 -0300, Marcos Ariel Negrini via samba
wrote:
> Hello:
> I am setting up a lab are samba4 AD + bind9. For now it works
> without
> problems. My idea is to join other Samba4 and I have doubts about
> Bind,

I had to read this a few times before I understood it, the problem
being that I (as an English person) would never use 'doubts' in the
context above, I think you mean 'I have a question about Bind'.

If so, then yes, Bind9 uses BIND_DLZ on each DC that it runs on. There
are no dns slaves in AD they are all masters, this is known as
multimaster. There is no such thing as local AD. Provided that
replication is working correctly (and you have real problems if it
isn't), the AD databases stored on each DC should be virtually
identical (there are a few attributes that do not replicate).

If you are going to use Bind9 with Samba AD, then set it up correctly
on the first DC and then use the same named.conf files on all other
DC's.

Rowland