[Samba] - Unable to access share from Windows 2012 client

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Jul 14 14:23:15 UTC 2021

On Wed, 2021-07-14 at 18:59 +0530, suresh b wrote:
> Hi Rowland,
>
> Thanks for your response.
>
> Samba version is : Version 3.6.23
>
> Also enclosed smb.conf file for your reference.

For those who didn't get the smb.conf file because this list strips
attachments, here it is (with comments and default lines removed):

[global]
   workgroup = UG.DCM.in
   server string = Samba Server
   security = share
   hosts allow = 10.179.6.60 10.179.3.60 10.179.3.62
   guest account = nobody
   log file = /var/samba/log/log.%m
   max log size = 16384
   log level = 2
   log file = /var/samba/samba.log.%m
   max log size = 512

[Dataflow_Processed]
   comment =Prod Dataflow Processed
   path = /processed
   writable = yes
   guest ok = yes

[Dataflow_Error]
   comment = Prod Error
   path = /dataflow/error
   writable = yes
   guest ok = yes

What is the DC ? I cannot see it being an NT4-style PDC, so 'security =
share' (which doesn't exist in 3.6.23) should be 'security = ADS'
'UG.DCM.in' doesn't look like a Netbios domain name (aka workgroup), it
looks like a kerberos realm, it should be a single word (quite possibly
'UG')
You do not have any 'idmap config' lines, so you are not going to have
any AD users or groups.
You have 'guest ok = yes' in the shares, but because you do not have
'map to guest = bad user' in '[global]', you will not actually get
guest access.

To only use SMB2 and above, add these lines to smb.conf:

client min protocol = SMB2
server min protocol = SMB2

You are still using Solaris and I think (because of the Samba version)
it is an EOL version.

Rowland