[Samba] SMB2 and X-plore

Oleksandr Natalenko oleksandr at natalenko.name
Wed Jul 14 12:23:45 UTC 2021

Hello.

On středa 14. července 2021 14:04:28 CEST L.P.H. van Belle via samba wrote:
> Have you followed this :
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setting_up_Samba_as_a_Standalone_Server
>
> Basicly its, guest access is denied on SMB2
> Adjust the smb.conf as shown in the link.
> And test again.

OK, thanks for the pointer. I understand what's going on now after seeing the
"guest access is denied on SMB2" phrase.

I've adjusted the config, and now X-plore connects just fine. The config looks
like this now:

```
[global]
        disable spoolss = Yes
        domain master = No
        load printers = No
        name resolve order = host
        printcap name = /dev/null
        server string = Samba Server %v
        show add printer wizard = No
        socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_KEEPALIVE
        idmap config * : backend = tdb
        printing = bsd
        valid users = __guest

[Shared]
        browseable = No
        force group = _shared
        force user = _shared
        path = /mnt/shared
        read only = No
        veto files = /lost+found/
```

So, basically, I've restricted auth to the __guest user which was created in
the system and then added to the Samba database, and also removed that guest
access.

> Also whats the OS your using and what samba version is running?

I think this doesn't matter any more, but for the history it's Arch with the
latest stable samba package (4.14.6) available.

--
Oleksandr Natalenko (post-factum)