[Samba] Allow only one computer SMB v1

Stephen Atkins satkins at mdwainwright.ca
Fri Jul 2 14:08:56 UTC 2021

On 6/29/2021 2:18 PM, Nick Couchman via samba wrote:

> If I understand the question correctly, I believe Stephen is asking if you
> could limit support for SMBv1 to a single client, allowing only that client
> to talk to the Samba server with SMBv1, while forcing all other computers
> to talk with SMBv2/3, etc.
>
> My thought is you could possibly do this using the include directive in the
> smb.conf file to include a per-machine configuration file, perhaps based on
> IP address. Something like this:
>
> include = /etc/samba/clients/%I.conf
>
> You could then have a configuration file specifically for that machine that
> would lower the SMB protocol level down to 1, and all other machines could
> use the default.
>
> I might be off on that, it isn't something I've tried, but Samba's support
> for configuration includes and variable substitutions gives you some very
> flexible, very powerful options.

Question about how to implement this.

Would I need to have a copy of everything in my current smb.conf for
every computer?  If so that seems a bit painful for maintenance.  Or can
I just put the include at the bottom after all my other shares.  Then
when machine1 connects it uses machine1.conf and the parameters for that
single share.  Same goes for Machine2 and so on.  If a machine does not
have a .conf file for it, then it doesn't get to see that share, right?
Since I'm looking to have only one machine use SMBv1 would I need to
have that .conf file have a [global] section?

Thanks for the help.
--
Stephen Atkins