[Samba] Worm VFS module not working?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Jul 2 03:50:33 UTC 2021

On Thu, 2021-07-01 at 20:34 -0700, Aaron C. de Bruyn via samba wrote:
> I'm beginning to think the 'worm' VFS module might not be working.
>
> I've spent the last 30 minutes or so playing around with it...and I
> *swear*
> I had it working when I implemented it about 6 months ago...but it
> lets me
> delete/rename/modify any file.
>
> Here's a sample share definition from one of my NAS boxen:
>
> [archive]
>      comment = Archive Folder
>      path = /tank/archive
>      acl allow execute always = False
>      guest ok = False
>      read only = False
>      valid users = adebruyn
>      vfs objects = worm shadow_copy2 full_audit
>      worm:grace_period = 300
>

> If I connect to the archive folder, I can delete anything--even files
> with
> dates from 2016.
>
> Is there something to the vfs objects ordering or maybe the module is
> broken in my really super old 4.9.5-Debian package?

While this module is admirable, I wouldn't recommend it.  Since over
two years ago this MR has remained unmerged in our GitLab:

Prevent Linux client ability to disobey VFS WORM
https://gitlab.com/samba-team/samba/-/merge_requests/191

There is no testsuite and there has been no maintenance since it was
added other than suspiciously changes for the VFS rewrite (I would have
expected more).

https://gitlab.com/samba-team/samba/-/commits/master/source3/modules/vfs_worm.c

Had it a solid testsuite and active maintenance, I think this would be
an awesome idea, particularly in this ransomware era, but alas.

Andrew Bartlett

Solutions