[Samba] vfs_ChDir failed: Permission denied

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Sun Jan 31 18:31:12 UTC 2021

On 31/01/2021 18:16, Marco Shmerykowsky via samba wrote:

>>> It may not be such a big problem since ownership is really
>>> controlled by the group and not the user. Only one group can
>>> access the corresponding share directory.
>>>
>>> My migration plan was to copy the smb.conf file on the old
>>> server to the new server, create the same directories,
>>> apply permissions to the new directories and use scp to
>>> copy the data from old to the new.  Lastly, I would modify
>>> the group policies to point to the new server.
>>>
>>> Sounds reasonable?
>>> the old server to the new server.
>>

>> That should work, provided you ensure that the smb.conf on the new
>> computer is correct.
>>
>> Having said that, if it is only the group you are worried about, just
>> fix the smb.conf on the old computer (which at this stage could just
>> be restarting Samba) and then fix the group ownership of the files and
>> directories.
>
> Out of ignorance, how do I fix the group ownership? of the files &
> directories?

This would depend on your computer, at the moment your files will show
as belonging to the group 'owners', but if you restart Samba, it is
probable they will then show as belonging  to '2011'. If this is the
case, then you can use chown or chgrp to change the group ownership back
to 'owners'. I am not saying this is going to be a 5 minute job 😁

Rowland