[Samba] Dynamic Updates to Bind DLZ through DHCP have repeated errors in syslog

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Jan 29 16:33:42 UTC 2021

On 29/01/2021 16:16, ralph strebbing wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 29, 2021 at 11:05 AM Rowland penny via samba
> <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
>
>> The script was designed to take output from the dhcp server and use that
>> to update the Samba AD DC dns records in AD. You, by your own admission,
>> are letting it do that, but then trample all over it by changing IP's
>> manually. If you require the computer to have a different IP when in
>> production, then I would suggest you set it up with a fixed IP in the
>> first place and not use dhcp at all.
> Understood, and that will be handled appropriately as we encounter it
> moving forward, I appreciate the professional advice on this more than
> I'm likely expressing.
> My only continuing issue using this script (and I believe my last
> comment on this thread before today) is why the script completes its
> task (correctly from what i can tell), but still reports that it
> failed according to it's result codes that you gather for the check?
>
> Also, as I continued to test how well it will work with regards to
> expiring leases as they happen naturally (shortened lease time to 10
> min), the delete function fails as it can't find the records with the
> given args (Log link below):
> http://haste.thegamingcorner.net/zunivocivo.sql
>
> Thanks Again,
> Ralph

The update is failing because, for some reason, the record does not
exist. This has nothing to do with the script, unless it is because the
script never created it in the first place, but then surely there would
be something in the logs about this.

As I said, the script is run with the output of DHCP, this can succeed
or fail, but it would be logged, at the same time, dhcp does its thing
and this usually works. The script can fail, but dhcp work, the only
thing that connects them is that dhcp runs the script with the required
arguments (or not)

Rowland