[Samba] Dynamic Updates to Bind DLZ through DHCP have repeated errors in syslog

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Jan 29 16:05:16 UTC 2021

On 29/01/2021 15:56, ralph strebbing wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 29, 2021 at 10:09 AM Rowland penny via samba
> <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
>> No, I wanted the OP to try it out before updating the wiki, that was
>> before I found out the OP was misusing the script. The changes are
>> pretty simple, 'DHCID' is now only used if the script stores
>> 'macAddress' in AD, so the check for it has been moved to that section
>> and is now not fatal to the main part of the script.
>   I'll ask this then, what is the correct use of the script? And I'm
> asking this in the most respectful way I can via text, because I was
> under the assumption originally that I was using the script in the way
> it was intended.
>
> Thanks,
> Ralph

The script was designed to take output from the dhcp server and use that
to update the Samba AD DC dns records in AD. You, by your own admission,
are letting it do that, but then trample all over it by changing IP's
manually. If you require the computer to have a different IP when in
production, then I would suggest you set it up with a fixed IP in the
first place and not use dhcp at all.

Rowland