[Samba] Authentication problems with AD after migration of Samba from 3.5 to 3.6

Girouard, Yvon yvon.girouard at cgi.com
Thu Jan 28 18:13:10 UTC 2021

Hell Björn,

I would like first to thank you for the provided information.
I was finally able to get samba to work correctly on both servers. The problem came from the "range" that could not map all groups and users.
Now I had few meetings with the customer about samba 3.6 and SMB2. First, the migration of the entire system will not be completed before several months. So for now they must be living with the old redhat and Samba3.6. The option they currently have is to wait before migrating their workstations to Windows 10(to avoid SMB2) or to take the risk of using Windows 10 with an unstable SMB2. I have only one question about this issue. What is the instability of SMB2 related to? Is it related to the load, to the number active sessions or just because of the design? If I have a little more detail, it will help them understand more about the risk and they will be able to make the right decision.

Thanks again for your help .. really appreciated.

Yvon.