[Samba] What's the use of SeDiskOperatorPrivilege?

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Jan 28 10:21:29 UTC 2021

On 28/01/2021 10:06, Matthias Leopold via samba wrote:

> Then why bothering with granting SeDiskOperatorPrivilege when share
> permissions shall not be modified at all (this was my original question)?

Because you are falling into the trap of thinking that the share tab has
anything to do with setting the NTFS permissions on a share. Nearly
every time anyone has problems setting permissions on a Samba from
Windows, they have messed with the share tab, the favourite one is
removing 'Everyone'. Just ensure that only 'Everyone' is set on the
share tab with Full Control, Change and Read permissions set.

> I know that the settings in "Security" are essential. I always aimed
> at configuring the correct combination of "Share permissions" and
> "Security". There are instructions in the Microsoft docs about this.

I can only talk from experience, leave the share tab alone and set the
permissions with the security tab.

Rowland