[Samba] expire date

Piviul piviul at riminilug.it
Wed Jan 27 08:19:23 UTC 2021

Il 26/01/21 20:06, Rowland penny via samba ha scritto:
> On 26/01/2021 08:05, Piviul via samba wrote:
>> I would like to focus in a very little problem concerning samba... in
>> all my debian testing members after recents samba updates from 4.13.2
>> to 4.13.3 at every logon the system show a warning saying "your
>> password will expire in <number> days" where <number> is a number
>> that change at every logon and doesn't seems to concern exipring
>> password date. For example last logon show the warning "your password
>> will expire in 5386599 days".
>>
>> Someone can suggest me some hints to debug this very little annoying
>> bug?
>>
>> Piviul
>>

> I think we need more info, that message doesn't actually seem to be
> coming from Samba. What OS ? logging on how ?

the OS is debian testing (bullseye); the message is displayed on the
console just after a successfully (local or ssh) log on but is shown
even after a successfully log on in GDM. I've found no expiring
meassages on the logs...

> I am not saying it isn't a Samba problem, but it may be the
> interaction between whatever you are  logging  on with and Samba (PAM ?).

if I log on using a local account no password expiry messages are shown
but if I log on using an AD user account the expiry password message is
displayed... so I thought was a samba problem ?) Any way do you have
some suggestion to debug the problem and found the guilty?

Best regards

Piviul